Writing advice is plentiful on the internet. Following up my previous post about Rules for Writers, I’ve collected some more:
- V.S. Naipaul’s advice is remarkably similar to the Strunk & White dicta, and can be summarized as ‘keep it simple and concrete.’
- George Orwell’s rules turn out to be similarly banal.
- Larry Brooks reveals that “Suffering is Optional: Or, Ten Ways to Totally Screw Up Your Novel,” over at StoryFix.com.
- The Writers Digest blog, There Are No Rules, has links to “The 5 Free E-Books Every Writer Needs.”
- And, finally, one PLoS Blogs blogger put together this exhaustive collection of “Practical Tips on Writing a Book from 23 Brilliant Authors.”
But for some really good and very funny advice I would highly recommend the new book Starve Better by Nick Mamatas.