My opinions on writing are informed by a background studying literature at U.C. Berkeley, my experience as a reporter and freelance writer, and many hours of writing classes and workshops both formal and not-so-much. My fiction has appeared in a variety of journals and anthologies.
In 2002, I was one of several writers invited to read in the Koret Auditorium of San Francisco Public Library as part of the Soul-Making Literary Competition; I was the only honoree to be a finalist in two categories. I read at Writers With Drinks in October, 2003. And Kitchen Sink Magazine nominated one of my essays for the Pushcart Prize in 2004.
- Bitten Vampire Short Fiction Contest, Finalist, August 2005
- Oregon Quarterly Northwest Perspectives Essay Contest, Semifinalist, March 2003
- New Millennium Writing Awards XIII, Honorable Mention, May 2002
- Rosalie Fleming Memorial Essay Prize, Finalist, January 2002
- Sheila Smith Short Story Prize, Finalist, January 2002
- Movie Review Contest with Dave Clayton, March 2001
- Jack London Foundation Writing Contest, Finalist, 1992
- Jack London Foundation Writing Contest, Finalist, 1991